Saturday, June 25, 2011

We Are Building the Taj Mahal

Well, it kinda feels like it now. Now after seeing a family of 3 who lives in a 320 sq. ft. house. (read full post there).

That's not a typo! 320 sq ft! With a teenage son, this family downsized from a 2,500 sq ft home that they could no longer afford and built one of those "shotgun houses" people built after hurricane Katrina. They paid cash(around $20,000) and pay rent for the lot it sit on(around $120 I think) and have no other mortgage or house rent.


















Hooked on Houses is a blog I frequent, written by a lady who is hooked on houses. All houses, all sizes, all styles. She doesn't blog about her own house, just real estate listings she sees, or virtual tours from the internet of tv shows. Lots of times they are celebrity homes or homes featured in movies. And even the bad and the ugly of home listing/staging photos(what not to do).

There aren't too many pictures of this 320 sq ft house, so if you are interested, I highly recommend watching the 10 min video tour to see just how a family lives in that small of a space(spoiler: their son lives in a 4 ft tall loft in the ceiling!)



I do think it's kind of crazy, but there are some inspiring ideas that make me think if they live in 320 sq ft, we can certainly live in 800! The biggest take away(which I already know but this drove home) is use your space smartly. Utilize vertical and hidden storage(don't let space go to waste!). The other take-away message is don't fill your house with "stuff". That's this family's big secret. They don't have a bunch of junk taking up room and stressing them out.

It's not for everyone, but they are doing what works for their family in the difficult economic time, and for that I applaud them. If it were me, I think I would have strangled someone by now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...