Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Throw Pillow Covers

Another project I've waited a year to do.  With good reason: I didn't have a sewing machine.  But I got this one for Christmas, so pillows were at the top of my list!

We've been using two throw pillows, one of which was purple and didn't go with anything in the room.  The other was the quilted turquoise one in the photos below, which I got from one of those fair trade things from Africa during the Southern Christmas Show years ago (and I still love it).

We have opened shelving in the kitchen, and italian pottery dishes that are muted green and yellow.  



So, those colors had to fit into the whole room's color scheme.  But since I like bright blues, greens, and grays I added pops of aqua/turquoise to the mix, so our living room color scheme is more like this.


Yellow, green, aqua, charcoal, and white.

It helps that our hand-me-down rug is blue.  There are worse colors.

It was surprisingly hard to find a patterned fabric that had some arrangement of those colors in it that wasn't old fashioned looking or didn't have a white background.  I didn't want a light background because it would look washed out on the tan slipcover.  

I finally found a fabric that had charcoal and green with a little blue in it.  But $16/yard was a little steep.  Luckily I only needed 5/8th of a yard, so I went for it.  I also found yellow duck cloth (canvas-like) that was $8/yard.



One was for a 20 inch pillow, the other for 18 inch.  Pillow forms themselves are very expensive, in my opinion.  Usually $12 for 16in, and $15 or more for a 20in.  I have several bags full of old pillow forms that are still in great shape(many never used).  The larger pillow form is actually from Ikea.  It was a 24 x 20 inch pillow with an ugly royal blue cover on it.  And it was on clearance for $7.  Yes, please!  I got two.

But the rectangular size made them look like bed pillows.  I remedied that by ripping it opened and pulling out a good bit of stuffing and then taking it in 4 inches on one side and restuffing and sewing it back up. 

I followed a blog tutorial for a envelope pillow cover.  It really was as super easy as they say.  You cut one long piece of fabric and fold it around the back, instead of cutting two pieces.  I wasn't ready to try my hand at zippers. 

Here is the back side with the opening.



Applique pillows are all over Pinterest.  Animal appliques are all the rage and I almost did a rabbit or fox.  After browsing I found some naturey shapes like branches and leaves that I liked.  All I did was free hand a design just by looking at the picture.  I drew it straight onto leftover drop cloth fabric.

Cut it out and pinned it to my already hemmed, but not folded around envelope pillow.  Then sewing in a contrasting thread (gray).  This was the time consuming part.  I haven't yet washed it to let it fray completely, but I did try and fray it with my fingers.


This was my inspiration photo.


























The last pillow actually wasn't planned out like the others.  I just wanted to make a t-shirt pillow because they are so soft.  And I had a stack of t-shirts that were going to goodwill.

I used this blog as a reference, but also just winged it.





Seriously SOOOO soft and cuddly.  I really need to make more!

4 comments:

  1. Hello there! I'm planning on building a garage apartment also... I randomly found your blog from google images, as I was showing my brother a picture of the plan that I'm planning on using (same one you guys based yours off of)! Just had a couple questions for you, is there an email I can contact you with? Thanks so much! Looking forward to hearing back from you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I am just now seeing this. I get so many spam comments in my inbox that I started deleting them without reading. I'd rather not give our my email address because of the spammers trolling my blog, but I'd be happy to answer any questions you have in the comment section here. I hope you understand, and thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. Oh goodness, it's definitely understandable! So first of all, I'm trying to figure out budget-wise...do you mind sharing how much your framing and the actual structure cost? It looks like you guys saved quite a bit by doing several things on the interior by yourself. I'm just trying to make sure I can afford this! :). Secondly, is there anything you would do differently...now that it's built and you are living there?

    Thanks again for your help! (smbrowning24@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...