Thursday, January 6, 2011

Double Trouble Cookies

I'm always looking for new recipes, especially when I'm making food for other people. Although, I usually try them out myself first, in case they flop. Last week we had a Youth New Years Eve Party at church. As volunteer youth leader, we were asked to make and bring desserts for the kids. I wanted one sugar cookie that looked festive and one really chocolaty cookie. The next few paragraphs are about the sugar cookies, so if you are only reading to get the double trouble recipe, scroll on down.

For the sugar cookies, I just bought Pillsbury Sugar Cookie dough(yes, I do call that cheating, but I did decorate them!!). Somehow I got it in my head that I wanted snowflakes on them, or snowflake shaped cookies, so they would look wintery. I have a box of cookie cutters from a yard sale, but there was no snowflake.

So, I decided to put a snowflake on them with blue sugar sprinkles. I would need a stencil. So I made one. I free-handed a little snowflake onto some card stock I had. Then used a razor to cut it out. The cookies are slice-and-bake, so once they are sliced, I pressed the stencil onto it and sprinkled the sprinkles on them, and carefully removed the excess.

They were a little overdone, but so gosh darn pretty!


















I found the recipe for chocolate cookies by googling "double chocolate cookie recipes" I think, and browsing through google images, and picking the one that looks the best and has the best recipe.
I used this one from someone's blog: http://backofthecupboard.blogspot.com/2009/06/double-trouble-chocolate-chip-cookies.html#comment-form

They were quite easy to bake, and OH MY GOSH so good!! The trick is to take them out after 8 minutes when you think they aren't done yet. Get them out when they are still gooey. They will firm up after they cool completely. Half of mine came out perfect and half I left in there a little to long and they were fine, but not as soft and chocolaty. The recipe says the dough and the baked cookies both freeze well. I'll have to try that. It would be great to have dough on hand to pop in the oven.


















Here's the recipe:

Double Trouble Chocolate Chip Cookies

Makes approx 3 dozen or so cookies

Ingredients

  • 1 Cup Butter
  • ¾ Cup White Sugar
  • ¾ Cup Brown sugar
  • 2 Eggs
  • 2 Tsp Vanilla
  • 2 Cup Flour
  • 1 Tsp Baking soda
  • ½ Tsp Salt
  • 2/3 Cup Cocoa
  • 2 Cup Chocolate chips

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats, set aside.
  2. Cream butter and both sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla, beat well again, scraping bowl occasionally.
  3. Mix flour, baking soda and salt in bowl. Sift in cocoa powder. Gradually add dry ingredients to sugar mixture, mix just until combined. Mix in chocolate chips.
  4. Place by tablespoonfuls couple inches apart onto lined baking sheets. I like to leave mine heaped or rolled into a ball for a nice thick cookie.
  5. Bake in oven for approximately 8-10 minutes or until edges and some of the middle is set…cookies will continue to bake as you take them out of the oven. Wait a couple of minutes before transferring to racks to cool.
  6. Once cool store in an airtight container.

Can you spot them?
















I managed to save a few at home to enjoy myself. I'll have to make these again real soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...